Nicholas H. Mast, MD
Nicholas Mast, MD, is the Medical Director of the Total Joint Center at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital. Board certified in orthopedic surgery, he specializes in anterior approach total hip replacement, a procedure that involves making a small incision at the front of the hip, rather than in back. With this technique, patients find that their mobility is restored sooner and their recovery time is shorter than with traditional hip replacement surgeries.
Dr. Mast received his medical training at the University of Nevada, School of Medicine, and began his orthopedic surgery training in Salt Lake City, Utah. He spent a year of fellowship training with Joel Matta, MD in Southern California performing more than 150 anterior approach total hip arthroplasties and reviewing Dr. Matta's series of more than 1,800 patients who had this surgery. Dr. Mast also completed international fellowships in Switzerland and France. He began performing the anterior approach hip replacement in 2007, and has since conducted more than 800 procedures. He also teaches and lectures on the technique. Dr. Mast joined Saint Francis’s staff in 2012, and lives in the Bay Area. To learn more about Dr. Mast visit his website sfhips.com.
• Anterior approach-total hip replacement
• Acetabulum fractures
• Pelvic fractures
• Hip arthroscopy
• Intertrochanteric osteotomy
• Proximal femoral osteotomy
• Periacetabular Osteotomy Total Joint Center
Make an appointment with Nicholas Mast, MD.
Saint Francis Memorial Hospital
Total Joint Center
1199 Bush Street, #300
San Francisco, CA 94109
• Medical Degree: University of Nevada, School of Medicine
• Internship: University of Utah
• Residency: University of Utah
• Fellowship: North American Traveling Fellowship-Zurich, North American Travelling Fellowship-Paris, and Hip and Pelvis Institute of St. John's Hospital, Santa Monica