Nicholas H. Mast, M.D.
Dr. Nicholas Mast is the Medical Director of the Total Joint Center at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital. An orthopedic surgeon, he specializes in the Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement , a procedure that involves making a small incision at the front of the hip, rather than in back. With this technique, patients find that their mobility is restored sooner and their recovery time is shorter than with traditional hip replacement surgeries. Dr. Mast received his medical training at the University of Nevada School of Medicine in addition to an international fellowship in Switzerland and France. He began performing the Anterior Approach in 2007, and has since conducted more than 800 procedures. He also teaches and lectures on the technique. Dr. Mast joined Saint Francis’s staff in 2012, and has lives in the Bay Area.
1199 Bush Street, #300
San Francisco, CA 94109
Saint Francis Memorial Hospital
Medical Director of the Total Joint Center at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital. Private practice in Hip and Pelvis Surgery.
Private practice in Hip and Pelvis Surgery
AO Martin Allgower fellowship under directorship of Professor R. Ganz, F. Laude, and M. Leunig. Surgical preservation of the hip.
General Practice with Jeffrey W. Mast, MD
St. John's Hospital
Hip and Pelvis Surgery under directorship of Dr. Joel Matta
University of Utah
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
University of Utah
Department of Surgery
Current Practice Locations
- Total Joint Center 1199 Bush Street, Suite 300 San Francisco, CA 94109
Education and Training
- 1998-2002 Doctorate of Medicine, University of Nevada School of Medicine
- 1992-1996 Bachelor of Arts, University of Colorado
- Awarded the Martin Allgower AO traveling fellowhsip for 2009
- Winner of the S.S. Coleman Annual Resident Research Award 2005. $10,000 merit based grant towards resident research.
- Leonard Marmor Surgical Arthritis Foundation Medical Student Grant
- Adult and Pediatric Fracture Care, Trauma, Adult Reconstruction and Arthroplasty, Complex Pelvic and Acetabular Fractures and Reconstruction, Minimally-Invasive Hip Arthroplasty techniques, Peri-acetabular Osteotomy, Hip Arthroscopy, Surgical Dislocation of the Hip.
- ABOS — Board Certified
- AAOS — Membership
- OTA — Faculty
- California Orthopedic Association
- Western Orthopedic Association
- NH Mast, H Manner, R Ganz, M Leunig, Potential Contribution of Femoroacetabular Impingement to Recurrent Traumatic Hip Dislocation. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics (Br) In Press.
- NH Mast, M Leunig, F Impellizeri, R Ganz, C Panaro, Arthroscopic Appearance and Treatment of Impingement Cysts at Femoral Head-Neck Junction, Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. 2012 Jan; 2891) 66-73
- NH Mast, F Laude. Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty Performed Through the Heuter Interval, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am., 2011 93:143-148
- NH Mast, F Impelllizzeri, M Leunig. Reliability and Agreement of Measures in Radiographic Evaluation of the Adult Hip Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, 2011 469(1) 188-99
- NH Mast, M Munoz, J Matta. Simultaneous Anterior Approach Bilateral Total Hip Arthroplasty. Orthopedic Clinics of North America, 2009 40(3) 351-6
- NH Mast, N Brown, C Brown, P Stevens. Guided Growth: A study of growth modulation at the physeal level. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics, 2008 April/May; 28(3): 375-380
- NH Mast, DS Horwitz. Osteomyelitis: A review of current literature and concepts. Operative Techniques in Orthopedics, 2003 Mar; 12(4):232-241
- CME committee—California Pacific Medical Center - 2010-2012
- QA committee—California Pacific Medical Center - 2010-2012
- AO/ASIF Basic Course (2004)
- AO/ASIF Advanced Course (2010)
- AO/ASIF Solutions Course (2008, 2010, 2012)
- AO/ASIF Internatioinal Fellowship (2009)
- AO/ASIF International Faculty Appointment (2010)